Friday, September 5, 2008

Thursday, August 28, 2008.
This turned out to be our hardest hike today.
We have had good weather every day, not even wearing a coat or hat. There is so much cloud cover I can't see my shadow. It is cool enough to be comfortable walking without a coat.
After the first five miles the country develops ups and downs, not big hills, but dips of 50 to 75 feet down and up.
A head wind becomes stronger and we love the downhill part!

I love
being watched by the sheep everywhere,
the curious cows who will let me touch their nose if I walk by softly,
St. Oswald's 13th century church and yard with tombs,
Cheese and pickle sandwich,
Millionaire Shortbread, a layered square with shortbread on the bottom, a layer of carmel, topped with a layer of dark chocolate.
looking at the foundation blocks of a Roman bridge,
Getting a taxi from Housesteads Roman Fort at 5:30 pm. We started walking at 9 am and were knackered!

No comments: